If you or someone you know is currently suffering from internal hemorrhoids, one treatment option to consider is what's known as rubber band ligation. This procedure placed a surgical-grade band around the necks of internal hemorrhoids, which cuts off the blood supply to them and allows the hemorrhoids to disappear within 1-2 weeks.
The procedure is completely safe and can be done in one office visit. No shots or anesthesia are needed, meaning that the procedure itself is relatively pain-free.
After the procedure itself is finished, the recovery stage begins, and luckily, it isn't a long period and there is very little pain or discomfort. Here are some useful tips to follow to ensure that your recovery is a successful one.
- Make sure that you follow all of your doctor's instructions to the letter. This involves properly using any creams and ointments that you may have been prescribed.
- Take sitz baths, as these can help to not only relieve any discomfort you may be experiencing, but sitz baths can also help to clean the affected area. For this, it's recommended that you sit in warm water for about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, pat the affected area dry with a towel, as rubbing or wiping vigorously can create more issues with the affected area. Some doctors recommend that you take a sitz bath twice a day, as well as after every bowel movement you have, in order to help care for the affected area properly.
- Staying on the subject of bowel movements, if you feel you need to make one, do not hesitate to do so. You also will not want to hold your breath, bear down, or strain while doing this, even though you may be tempted to do so. If you are unable to make a bowel movement, return to the toilet later on, as sitting on it for long periods of time can cause further issues with the affected hemorrhoid area. Furthermore, consider using items such as stool softener if you experience any strain while trying to make a bowel movement.
- Try not to stay seated for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Every two hours, take 10-15 deep breaths and tighten your buttock muscles.
- Avoid drinking any alcohol for the entire duration of your recovery period.
- Do not perform any kind of heavy lifting for 2-3 weeks regardless of how long your recovery period lasts.
These are a select few of the basic tips to make note of when recovering from a hemorrhoid banding procedure. Contact your doctor with any further questions that you may have, as recovery tips may vary depending on the severity of the issue.